German Interest Group of the San Diego Genealogical Society, California
Type: Non-profit, Special Interest Group
- Website: www.casdgs.org
- Facebook: San Diego Genealogical Society https://www.facebook.com/groups/66506287596/
- Email: email@example.com
- for German issues: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Mailing Address: P.O. Box 33725, San Diego, CA USA 92163
- Phone Number: 858-672-2593
- Fax Number: N/A
- Auf Deutsch or English contacts? English preferred but we do have German speakers in our group, including GIG's representative for the IGGP "breaking the language barrier" program.
- Individual membership - $30 per year
- Silver Membership - $50 per year
- Family membership - $50 per year (2 people in the same household)
- Gold Membership - $100 per year
- Platinum Membership - $200 per year
- Monthly Newsletter timely and informative emailed (except January).
- Local and national speakers at monthly meetings on topics of genealogy and family history.
- Genealogy Classes on a wide range of research topics
- Monthly Software User Groups to help with learning your genealogy software program.
- Access to the 'Members Only' section on the SDGS website featuring: San Diego County records, indexes and transcripts, Bible records, Society publications, Syllabi of Society
- Presentations, SDGS Newsletters (historical and current), Society Documents, and Member
- Free queries in the SDGS Newsletter
- Discount to the San Diego Leaves & Saplings genealogical research quarterly
- Support and guidance from fellow members in your genealogical research
- A newsletter and a number of Special Interest Groups (SIG), The newsletter is archived in the Members Only section. We also provide a link to affiliates' newsletters.
- SDGS monthly meetings are held the second Saturday of each month at 10:00 AM. Location: St. Andrews Lutheran Church, 8350 Lake Murray Blvd, San Diego, CA 92119
- The German Interest Group (GIG) meetings are held the third Wednesday of each month at 1:00 P.M.
- Location: Family History Center, 4195 Camino Del Rio South, San Diego, CA 92108
- The San Diego Genealogical Society sponsors two semi-annual full day seminars, one in January and one in September. Past events included Thomas MacEntee, Maureen Taylor, Lisa Louise Cooke, David Rencher, Cyndi Ingle, and Geoff Rasmussen. 2017 events include Dirk Weissleder and Judy Russell.
- Our society focuses on all areas of genealogical research. We do offer Special Interest Groups (S.I.G) which focus on specific areas. Examples: German Interest Group (G.I.G), writers' group, various software database groups, and computer basics.
SDGS volunteers perform San Diego County research for a donation ($5 minimum suggested). Look ups restricted to document extractions i.e. obituary, city directory, San Diego Public Library Genealogical collection and the research library of the San Diego History Center, cemetery, and gravestone photographs. Extensive genealogical research is not performed.
Research requests may be sent by email or by postal mail at:
San Diego Genealogical Society
P.O. Box 33725 San Diego CA 92163
The San Diego Genealogical Society library of 3,000+ titles in over 10,000 volumes as well as other resource materials are housed at the San Diego Public Library. In addition to books, the SDGS library holds more than 1,000 periodical titles. There are significant holdings of many major genealogical
periodicals such as The New England Historical and Genealogical Register in bound volumes from 1923 to the present. We provide volunteer docents to help visitors navigate the genealogy collection.